Edgar "K.B." Montrose (Graham Greene) is an explosives expert and enthusiast. He is largely self-taught, and he has the missing fingers and near-total deafness to prove it. According to Edgar, his interest in explosives started when he was seven and his grandparents gave him a chemistry set for his birthday. Since then, his solution to most any problem has been to blow it up. As he puts it: "Your wife left you? Blow up the stove. Otherwise you'll start cooking for yourself and that's dangerous." His interest in explosives also stemmed from watching Road Runner cartoons.
Edgar is always dressed in a demolition uniform (blue up to season 9, bright orange afterward) and wears a pair of ear protectors and a tattered baseball cap. His lack of hearing often elicits strange responses to the questions and comments people make toward him. (For example, when Red asks him "What have you got for us today?", Edgar replies, "Yes, it is a beautiful day, but that's not why I'm here.") When he's the contestant The Possum Lodge Word Game, they usually don't bother having him cover his ears because he can hardly hear them anyway. It is also speculated that his middle initials "K.B." stand for "Kaboom!", one of his favorite catchphrases.
Edgar is sometimes contracted to demolish or move buildings, despite the fact that he has no demolitions license. He has also made a number of strange, explosives-based inventions such as a "pipe-bomb organ", an explosives finder, and a device that will detonate ground beef mixed with gunpowder.
- Sex: Unlikely (short fuse)
- Eye Color: Smoky
- Address: Port Asbestos Outpatient Clinic
- Weight: 200 lbs. (including explosives)
- Date of Birth: May 24, 1957
- Hair Color: Singed
Notable Edgar Moments
This section catalogs the various things Edgar has either invented, blown up, or both.
|Father and Son Banquet||A stuck garage door with hamburger meat|
|Adopt-A-Highway||A dining room set|
|House Moving||His hat|
|It's A Wonderful Red Green Christmas||A howitzer for tinseling a Christmas tree|
|Coup De Grass||Bedroom furniture to make a fireworks display|
- Steve Smith mentioned on the Stuffed And Mounted DVD intros that Graham Greene became a fan of the Red Green Show after seeing it at an airport. When Greene met Smith at the Gemini Awards, he asked if he could appear on the show, leading Smith to create the Edgar Montrose character for him.
- Edgar's actor, Graham Greene, was nominated for an Academy Award (Best Supporting Actor) for his performance in the 1990 film Dances with Wolves.
- Edgar makes reference to his role in the episode Men's Night On The Mountain.